Sunday, August 23, 2015

Building the Coop

Urban Oasis Coop

I informed my husband one day that I wanted to have backyard chickens, and he promptly went to Home Depot to purchase supplies. With plans present only in his dynamic mind, he set to work constructing my lovely chicken house.  Everyone in the family helped, my son Nick and daughter Allie stretching wire and nailing the boards.  I painted it red with white trim upon completion and we added a corrugated metal roof.


The coop was built with wire under the flooring - you don't want rodents or raccoons to get in and eat the flock!  This is non negotiable - they WILL find a way in!  Use chicken wire around the edges, make sure you have a roost for them to sleep on - a spool or 2x2 is fine, and a nesting box or two for those lovely eggs.


I find metal feed and waterers to be best, and I love the retro look, but beware if you use vinegar in your water - metal will rust.  If you plan to use vinegar, get a plastic waterer.  Apple cider vinegar is great for the chicken's digestive tract, just a tablespoon per gallon is the perfect amount.


If you don't have a handy dandy builder wiz husband, a few of my favorite places to find super cute pre-constructed coops are William-Sonoma and Wayfair.

Got a question about coop construction?  Post it here!

- Rita

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...