Friday, September 4, 2015

Pooper Scooper - The Dark Side of Chicken Ownership

I hate to say it, but you must know this truth behind urban chicken keeping - It's not all fun and free eggs...poo must be scooped!


With 6 chickens in my yard I have to scoop poop daily in the Summer.  This is my "pooper scooper" and I actually find it somewhat relaxing to just zone out and scoop.  You can either keep the poo for fertilizer or to add to mulch, or you can put in the yard waste bin or composter.  The other plus about scooping poop is you will be able to monitor the health of your chickens.  If they have runny or wet poo then you immediately know you have a problem and can track it down.  Some people use a poo board - a board you put in the coop under the roost at night to judge the health of chickens - but I just scoop and look.  The poo should be solid and have a white salt layer.


But there is a silver lining! In the Winter the job is a bit easier. With all the rain in the Northwest, the poo just filters right down into the grass and garden.  Its great organic fertilizer for the yard - I never use chemical fertilizer in the backyard in order to keep my chickens healthy and happy.

Just remember when you decide to keep girls - poo happens!




- Rita

1 comment :

  1. What scooper do you have? I bought one that looks similar to yours but I am not a fan. I actually find our spring jaw style one easier to use

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...